Friday, January 23, 2009

Orange is a beautiful color!

The Orange Tree

Ever have a juicy orange you knew you'd never forget? Well I have!!! My parents have a very very very old Orange tree which is about 5 feet tall and about 5 in diameter. It produces many many oranges which my Mom passes out by the bag. They are Delicious and sweet. In the many I have eaten, peeled for my kids, and juiced, I have not found 1 seed, until today! So I saved it, in hopes to grow my own orange tree. One day when my tree produces fruit I would like to pass on oranges by the bag. I know how expensive oranges can be, so I would the opportunity to give them to family and neighbors and family.
Since Ive been inspired to grow my own orange tree, I posted the quick and easy steps, so maybe you will be inspired too...
Step One - Save your orange seeds. Immediately wash them in tepid water and begin the planting process. You can use the paper towel method for germination, but the soil method, described here, is more effective.
Step Two - Prepare a container with sterile potting soil. Before filling it with soil, create drainage holes. Paper cups tend to dry out sooner, so if you are punching ice-pick-sized holes in the bottom of the container for drainage, do about four for plastic and two for paper.
Step Three - Plant the seeds 1/2 inch under the potting soil. Add enough water to moisten the soil, but don't let it get soggy.
Step Four - Cover the cup with either a plastic bag or plastic wrap. Keep checking to make certain that it remains moist.
Step Five - Store the pot in a warm place. Sunlight is not necessary at this time. Directly in front of a register is not a good idea because of the drying effect. Atop an electrical appliance like a television or refrigerator is usually best.
Step Six - Move to a sunny area and remove the plastic once the seed has sprouted. Maintain moisture. Transplant to a more permanent container when the seedling is large enough.
During the day when I have a few moments to spare I browse through blogs. I've come upon many which have inspired me to take that first step. I've learned so many new things from them and can't wait to learn more. I'd just like to thank everyone for sharing a part of their lives with us. I truly appreciate it!
Warmly,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment